Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

VK’s Channel has a video called ‘How to Fix Your Joy-Con Drift Permanently’, which suggests that pushing down on the plastic around the stick on the left Joy-Con immediately stops the stick from drifting.

The need, then, is to find a way to permanently put pressure on this area to make sure drift doesn’t happen.

According to the video (which can be seen above and starts the tutorial at 5:55), the solution is to open up the Joy-Con and add a tiny piece of card around 1mm thick underneath the stick’s metal enclosure.

The explanation given in the video is that over time the metal enclosure holding the stick becomes loose and separates from the stick, separating it from its contacts.

Thanks for the tutorial video on how to fix the Joy-con drift problem with paper.

Not sure I want to trust these DIY fixes but I guess if you are desperate, it's a decent/easy-ish thing to do.

I'm not keen on opening devices that have to be opened in a very careful way that if done wrong, can result in the device breaking!

Oh wow! I too had the drifting issue. I sent it in and received it within a couple of weeks. Thank goodness that it didn't cost anything.

did it get fixed?
Yes! I expected the turn around time to be longer considering they weren't charging. I thought the queue time would have been at least a month. I was almost prepared to buy another set of joy cons but glad I didn't have to after-all.

No kidding! Perhaps the need for the service had died down and I just happen to catch a window where they were available to process my request promptly.

Since this fix is based on the theory the base plate stretching and losing contact, instead of flicking the stick around, how well would pressing the stick down multiple times affect it?

I so wish I had seen this video before as I have had bad stick drift on my Joy-Cons for a while now and it is quite frustrating when you are playing the console handheld and not on the dock.

I will be trying this and seeing if it works but I am very much prepared to have to buy new ones.

I bought an OLED model a few months ago and have clocked in around 300 hours or so on it. So far, no drift. I expect it to happen eventually, but maybe it's getting better?

Just don't be rough with it, I think that is the main cause.
I'm certainly trying to me. I actually use it on the go a lot more than I used to, so hopefully that doesn't speed up the process.

Back