Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from nintendolife:

There was a point a year or so back when it seemed every day brought with it a new 'Switch Pro' rumour, although things have recently been quieter on that front. However, an Nvidia employee has confirmed — apparently accidentally — the existence of a chip, the Tegra239, rumoured to have existed since 2021 and supposedly meant to be powering that mystical new Nintendo hardware that we're all waiting for.

This information was shared on Twitter by @CentroLeaks after being picked up on the GamingLeaksAndRumours subreddit and shared by u/followmeinblue. Nvidia is currently holding a three-day event to promote many of its new products, including its next generation of graphics cards — of which many of the details were leaked back in March this year.

The employee's comment on the Tegra239 — which can be seen below and was found as part of a message thread — is the first official confirmation we've had of this specific system-on-a-chip (SoC). You can access the full details over on linux.org, however, here is an extract from the subreddit:

Comment by NVIDIA employee confirms existence of Tegra239 - the SoC likely to be used on the Nintendo Switch 2. from GamingLeaksAndRumours

This, of course, still doesn't confirm the existence of any 'Switch Pro' or 'Switch 2', but this does line up with the March leak from @NWPlayer123 who found references to the "T234/T239". Speculation on the subreddit linked above puts potential output for a hypothetical console using this chip in the ballpark of the PS4 performance-wise.

The current Switch models run on the 'Mariko' revision of Nvidia's Tegra X1 SoC, although rumours last year suggested that Nvidia was bringing production of that ageing chip to a close.

New tech always changes so I can't wait to see if this makes the improvement that devs have been looking for.

If the new Cpu is indeed as powerful as the PS4's wonder on the battery power consumption.

Hopefully it will be backward compatible.

Last edited:
If this is true then sure hope it is backward compatible with pervious model game both physical and digital. I'm not sure how the could improve on the current mode besides fixing the joycon drift.

It would be cool if the CPU is backwards compatible with many older Nintendo games. I wonder if the Switch 2 would have better support for Virtual Reality.

I feel like nintendo should just give us more options when they announce a new switch as in why not give us a beefed up switch version that we can only use on a tv instead of the combo we have now which they also should keep. I rarely use my switch in handheld mode and they can probably cut down the costs of producing a consolized version of the switch that way. It's suprising they have not done so so far, you know nintendo fans and myself included would eat these things up like there is no tommorow lol.

I think Portability is one of Nintendo's best features. It will be a dang shame if Switch 2 is not portable.

I hope there would still be a portable version of the Switch 2, so people can easily carry it around to game on.

I think Portability is one of Nintendo's best features. It will be a dang shame if Switch 2 is not portable.
I agree the portability is one of the best features of the Switch
I hope there would still be a portable version of the Switch 2, so people can easily carry it around to game on.
I hope so too or I may not even buy it
I mean, can it be called Switch at that point?
I don't think so though I could be wrong.

Platinum Games' Takao Yamane also wants a portable switch 2:

Personally, this is a very lifestyle-oriented preference for myself, but right now I feel it’s really difficult for me to actually “sit” still in front of the TV and play games. For me, I lie down and play games in portable mode and I enjoy games that way, and that’s the biggest reason why I like the Nintendo Switch.

Whenever the new hardware that Nintendo decides to launch next arrives, I personally do hope that they still have this portable element so that it can support my lifestyle of playing games as I lie down!

Read from VGC:

As part of a Q&A session following the publication of its latest financial results, Nintendo’s execs were asked what discussions are being held internally about offering backwards compatibility on new hardware.

While Miyamoto did not specifically state which direction future Nintendo consoles would take, he did state that he believes backwards compatibility is easier to implement in the modern era than it was in the past.

“In the past, we provided a service known as the ‘Virtual Console’ that allowed users to play older video games on new consoles with newer hardware,” he said (translated by VGC contributor Robert Sephazon). “As long as the hardware remained unchanged, those games could continue to be played.

“However, the publishing rights to video games are complicated, and we have said that we would only add titles after securing the necessary rights.

“Of course, video games developed for dedicated consoles were created in different development environments for each console,” Miyamoto continued. “As a result, when the hardware changed, the development environment could not necessarily be reused, and so the video games that had been released on older consoles could not be played on newer consoles without additional modification.

“Recently, however, the development environment has increasingly become more standardised, and we now have an environment that allows players to enjoy older video games on newer consoles more easily than ever before.”

Miyamoto concluded: “However, Nintendo’s strength is in creating new video game experiences, so when we release new hardware in the future, we would like to showcase unique video games that could not be created with pre-existing hardware.”

Read this from the gamer:

The Nintendo Switch was always going to be a game changer for the industry, but few foresaw the juggernaut it would go on to become. Such a juggernaut that Nintendo appears to be unwilling to move on. Despite that, the first hints Nintendo has been talking to partners about the Switch's successor have emerged.

Talking to Nikkei, president Shuntaro Furukawa explained Nintendo wants to provide entertainment different from anyone else. A mantra it has lived by for years. However, also mentioned in the translated article is a note on Nintendo already starting conversations with partners about its next-gen hardware.

Whatever's coming next from Nintendo won't be here until at least late 2024. Not that far into the distance in all honesty, and probably about as soon as anyone could have expected. With 18 months or more to go, according to Nikkei, negotiations with suppliers regarding the production system for the Switch's successor have already begun.

Back