Staff member
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Since Hundred Heroes is coming out this year I decided to play the prequel game Eiyuden Chronicle Rising. This is my review:

Eiyuden Chronicle Rising is not a JRPG, it really isn't. This is a 2D Platformer/Metroidvania game disguised as a JRPG. Sure it has a leveling system and a resource system, but you're not really doing anything besides exploring a few dungeons.

This is a really small scale game, which works to its benefit as this wouldn't have really support anything more than low stakes. Saying that, the main quest doesn't really have much going for it. The main villain doesn't even have that big of a role in the story until the last five missions and he just felt underwhelming. The main missions mostly were either exploration or building up a town and it got really boring.

Ah yes, I forgot about the town building mechanism. The main point of the game and the reason why the story felt as low stakes as possible because there is no real threat. Sure there's bandits but they only really popped in the side quests and never did anything except steal things but I guess the bandits are our stakes. As for the town building, it got old really fast cause all they asked for was things you had to go collect in a dungeon.

The game has five main dungeons, and while they ask feel different, they get really old really fast because the variety in this game is nonexistent. There is 31 main quests I'm the game, which already makes the game like 12 hours long, which is pretty good for a $12-$15 dollar game. But then you have Luke 160 side quests to do if you want a few achievements and they did not have the variety needed for 160 side quests.

This game should not be 100% completed I'll warn you all now. You also should avoid doing what I did and complete the remaining 30 or so side quests that were left. I did 180 side quests and can honestly say that the grind was not worth it.

Getting back to reviewing, the game is really pretty. Like this artstyle was really good and made the whole game very enjoyable to look at. That's honestly my biggest compliment to the game, it does look really good.

Now as for the gameplay, the combat system was pretty fun, but was never really that challenging, which is probably a good thing because you'll fight the same things over and over again. The combat variety in this game does not exist so have fun fighting the same types of enemies over and over again.

And the bosses are honestly way too easy. Like I defeated all of them in one go. Even the hard mode bosses weren't that difficult so if you like easy games go ahead and play this.

As for me, I'm done with the game and would recommend you only play this if you're okay with 15 hours of repetitive combat and quests.

TLDR: Rising has many too many side quests.

Thank you for your review! They are very helpful when people are looking for something to read.
Anybody else have a review on this as well? :)

Back